Mrs. Anna Davis Adkisson, P. O., Napton. Mrs. Adkisson was born in Kentucky in 1807, and was the daughter of Cornelius Davis, with whom she moved to Missouri, and settled with him at New Madrid, in 1810. The earthquakes of 1811 broke up Mr. Davis, and he moved to central Missouri, and located his New Madrid claim, about five miles above Booneville, in 1819. In the spring of 1821, he again moved, and located in the Big Bottom, in Saline county. February 17, 1823, she married Mr. Walter Adkisson, a native of Halifax county, Virginia, born in October, 1789, who moved to Missouri and settled in the Big Bottom, in 1819. After her marriage they remained in the bottom about a year, and in 1824 settled on Salt Fork creek, about a mile above where Mr. Stouffer now lives, living there a couple of years, and then moving to where she now lives, with her son-in-law Mr. Stouffer, where her husband died in 1844. Mrs. Adkisson raised four sons and three daughters, five of whom are now living. Page 850-851

Dr. S. D. Martin, physician and farmer. Dr. S. D. Martin was born in Woodford county, Kentucky, in 1825, where he was raised and educated and continued to live until 1853. In 1853 he moved to Missouri, and settled in Grand Pass township, Saline county, where he lived until a few years ago, when he moved to the farm he now lives on, three or four miles south of Marshall. Dr. Martin married, in 1847, Miss Kate Pinkerton, of Woodford county, Kentucky, and has had ten children of whom there are now living: Rebecca, wife of Henry S. Hopkins; Lizzy, wife of Wm. H. Hurt; Annie, Ernest, Samuel, and Solon. Dr. Martin graduated in the medical department of the Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky. In 1849 he went to California, for a year or so, and saw Indian wigwams where Kansas City now stands. During the war he enlisted in the M. S. G., and was in Price’s battles of 1861. Was captured in Robinson’s recruits at Blackwater. Released on oath from Alton, in 1862. For some years he lived in Pettis county, and moved to his present residence in 1877. The doctor is a member of the Christian Church, belongs to the I. O. G. T., and has been successful both as physician and farmer. Started out in life with only his profession, and now owns 225 acres of choice land near Marshall. He took the premium for the largest and best crop of hemp, before the war. Page 851

Dr. Matthew W. Hall, physician and farmer, P. O., Salt Fork. Was born in Washington county, Kentucky, in 1817, and is a son of Rev. Nathan Hall, a well known minister of that state. In 1820 his father moved near Lexington, Kentucky, and remained there until Matthew was twenty years of age. In the spring of 1837 Dr. Hall went to Salem, Illinois, and lived there eight years, and in February, 1845, moved to Arrow Rock, Saline county, where he lived and practiced his profession for twelve years. In 1857 he moved to his farm in Salt Fork township, where he has since resided. Dr. Hall was educated and graduated in medicine at the Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky. In 1839 he was married at Salem, Illinois, to Miss Agnes J. Lester, of Charlotte county, Virginia, and has had eleven children, eight of whom are now living: Dr. C. Lester Hall, of Marshall, W. Ewing Hall, Esq., of Kansas City, Dr. John R. Hall, of Marshall; Mrs. Louisa Trigg, of Booneville; Matthew W. Hall, Jr., living in Booneville; Dr. Thomas B. Hall, practicing with his father; Miss Florida Lee Hall and Miss Effie Hall. Dr. Hall is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, membership at Mt. Olive, and also a Free and Accepted Mason, has been a member of the Arrow Rock lodge for thirty-five years. In 1860 Dr. Hall was elected to represent Saline county in the legislature, and was an uncompromising pro-slavery democrat, and earnestly supported the war measures suggested by Gov. Jackson, and attended the session at Neosho. In 1874 Dr. Hall was again elected by the democrats to represent Saline in the legislature. In December, 1861, he was captured with the regiment of recruits on Blackwater, of which he was surgeon. He was taken to St. Louis, then to Alton, paroled to hospital duty, and finally paroled to go home. His oldest son, Dr. C. Lester Hall, now of Marshall, was captured at the same time. Page 851-852

James H. McCallister, deceased. Born in Kanawha, Virginia, about the year 1813. While still a boy his father moved to Christian county, Kentucky. In 1835 he came to Cooper county, Missouri, and soon after moved up to Saline county, near McCallister Springs, then the property of his father. In 1846 he was married to Miss Mary J. Ramsey, by whom he had eight children, all living: Margaret E., James T., Susan J., George Floyd, Mary, Albert R., Martha A., and Minnie M. Mr. McCallister died in July, 1880, since which time Albert, his youngest son, has carried on the farm. During the war Mr. McCallister was a Union man, but did not enter either army, remaining quietly on his farm. Once his house was searched by the Confederates, but through the coolness of his wife nothing valuable was found, though the sum of $700 in coin was concealed on the premises at the time. At another time she saved her husband from a bushwhacker by treating the thing as a joke, and laughing the man out of his intention. Mrs. McCallister was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, and came with her parents to this state at an early date. At various times during the last thirty years of his life, Mr. McCallister was justice of the peace, deputy sheriff, and constable. Page 852

Mrs. Janette W. Wood, wife of the late Milton Wood, one of the first settlers in the present township of Salt Fork, was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1806, and lived there until her marriage. Her maiden name was Miss Janette W. Field, and with her husband came to Saline county at an early day. Mrs. Wood has had thirteen children, twelve of whom were reared to maturity: William F., John S., Robert C., Erasmus D., James F., Mrs. Pauline Herron, of Salem, Illinois; Mrs. Sallie A. Huston, Mrs. Anna Minor, Joseph F., Thomas B., Mrs. Lucy Mitchell and Charles; of these boys, one is in California; three are in Arizona; one in Montana, and three in Saline county. Mr. Milton Wood died in 1859, leaving Mrs. Wood with the care of a large family, the eldest son at home, being then but fifteen years old. At this time, she moved to Arrow Rock with her family, for a few years, but has always kept up the old home place, upon which she now lives. Mrs. Wood had a great deal of trouble during the war, and in 1864, lost her eye sight. She has been a member of the Baptist Church for a great many years; membership at Zoar. Her third son, Colonel Robert Wood, has had an eventful career in life. In 1847, he went to Santa Fe, and on to Chetmahua, setting up a store, but was run out by the Mexicans. Went to California, spent several years fighting Indians with Kit Carson. Joined Crabbe’s filibustering expedition to Sonora, but when Crabbe surrendered, escaped with twenty-eight men, and through many hardships went back to California, where he was greatly lionized for his escape. Crabbe with all the men surrendered, having been shot. Suffering from rheumatism he came to Hot Springs, Arkansas, about the beginning of the war. In 1861, joined Price as aid, and was soon after given command of a regiment, and was in all the battles of the war west of the river. Two brothers, Thomas and Edward, joined his command in 1863 and 1864. James F. was at the Booneville stampede at the age of sixteen; was at Lexington, was captured at Blackwater; was released on oath in St. Louis, and went north until 1865. Page 852-853

Gervas S. Smith, farmer, P. O., Marshall. Was born in Hanover county, Virginia, in 1805, and in 1811 moved with his father to Henry county, Kentucky. His father and Henry Clay were school-boys together. Mr. Smith continued to live in Henry county, Kentucky, until 1854, when he came to Missouri and settled in Saline county on the farm upon which he now resides, in Salt Fork township. Mr. Smith was married December 18, 1823, to Miss Mary B. Sibley, daughter of Leonard and Judith Sibley, of Kentucky. They have twelve children, eight daughters and four sons, ten of whom are still living; one son having died at New Orleans on his way from the Mexican war, and one daughter dying in Kentucky. In 1821 Mr. Smith joined the Methodist Church South, of which he has now been a member sixty years, and is probably the only member of the church as it then was in Henry county, Kentucky, who is now living. He is now a member at Smith’s chapel, the church being named for himself and Dr. Crawford E. Smith in conjunction, they being the chief donators. In 1875 Mr. Smith married his second wife, Mrs. Elizabeth W. Campbell. He has had eighty grandchildren, fifty-eight of whom are living. All his children are members of the Methodist Church, the youngest, Gervas, being a minister of the church. Mr. Smith took no part in the war himself, but during the war a boy about sixteen years old came from the southwest with Col. Dorsey, and while he and another Confederate were at Mr. Smith’s trying to get something to eat, one morning, the militia came suddenly upon them; they rushed out the back way to escape, and one did escape, but the boy (whose name is thought to have been George W. Stafford,) was shot by the militia and killed, after he had thrown up his hands and exclaimed that he was a regular soldier under Gen. Marmaduke. Mr. Smith took a ring from the poor boy’s hand and a lock of hair from his head, which he still preserves for any one who may ever claim them. The sight of the boy’s violent death so shocked Miss Emma Smith that her mind was seriously affected. Page 853-854

John B. Davis. The father of the subject of this sketch, Col. Wm. C. Davis, was born in Augusta county, Virginia, in 1794, and lived there until 1838. In the war of 1812 he commanded the 70th Virginia regiment. He was the father of nine children, most of whom are now living in Missouri. Jacob C. has filled several important offices in Illinois; was a member of congress, and also in the state legislature, while quite a young man. James R. is a member of the present county court of Saline county, a position he has held before, and which his father held before him. William, formerly a lawyer of Marshall. Dr. D. S. Davis located south of Marshall, on the old homestead. Martha J. Abney, wife of Col. S. S. Abney, of Morgan county, Missouri, and member of the late legislature. Dr. A. A. Davis, an extensive practitioner in Pettis county, Missouri. Judge B. K. Davis, of California. Was elected to the legislature in 1860, and was expelled from the same in 1861, for rebel sentiments. Had to leave the state, and was afterward elected judge in Nevada, and afterwards prosecuting-attorney. Returning to the practice of law, he died in 1880. John B., the youngest son, was born in Augusta county, Virginia, in 1834. Came to Missouri when a child, with his father, and was raised mostly in Saline county. In 1855 he was married to Miss Sallie E. Smith, daughter of Gervis S. Smith, by whom he has had twelve children, nine of whom are living: Gervas W., Mrs. Mary V. Gilbreth, of Saline county, Lizzie H., S. Mattie, Lavinia A., Charles B., Joseph B., Zeleka, and John R. Mr. Davis has been a member of the Methodist Church South, since his eighteenth year. In 1859 he sold his farm and went to merchandising in Longwood, but in 1861 his store was robbed by United States troops, which broke him up. In 1863 he went into the tobacco business, and in 1864 into the Confederate army, in Price’s last raid. In the battles of the retreat he took no part, as he was unarmed. Surrendered as lieutenant at Shreveport, 1865. In 1867 he moved to his present residence in Salt Fork township. Suffered considerable loss of property during the war, but now has 190 acres of land, mostly in cultivation, good house and good improvements. All his family, except one son, are at home. Page 854

William E. Wallace, farmer, P. O., Napton. Mr. W. E. Wallace was born in Cooper county, Missouri, in 1841, his family being from Kentucky and Virginia. His grandfather came to Missouri before it was admitted into the Union as a state, and settled in what was then New Madrid county, but the earthquake panic of 1811, drove him out. He was appointed by the government one of the agents to supply New Madrid settlers with new lands. The subject of this sketch was raised in Cooper, close to the Saline line, and in 1864 moved to Salt Fork (then Arrow Rock) township where he has since lived. In 1863 he was married to Miss Mary R. Trigg, daughter of John A. Trigg, then a resident of Cooper county. They have had five children: Robert T., Rebecca, Lucinda, Lavinia and Hortense. His first wife died in 1878. In 1879 he was married to Miss Mary E. Barnes, a niece of George C. Bingham, the great artist, by whom he has one child, Maud M. Mr. Wallace is a member of the Methodist Church, South, a southern man in his sympathies, but did not enter the army. He was educated at the Kemper High School, Booneville, Missouri. When his grandfather first moved from Virginia to Kentucky, he settled where the city of Lexington, Kentucky, now stands. He started in life with very little property, and now owns 200 acres—160 in cultivation and 40 in timber. Page 854-855

John T. Stouffer, farmer, P. O., Napton. Was born in Frederick county, Maryland, in 1838, where he lived until eight years old, and then moved with his father’s family to Augusta county, Virginia. In 1856 he left Virginia and went to Illinois, where he made only a short stay, and then came to Jonesboro, Saline county, where he has since resided. In 1858 Mr. Stouffer was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Adkisson. To them twelve children have been born, eleven of whom are living, viz: Laura V., John M., Ella M., Catherine D., Essie L., Mary J., Charles L., Robert W., Leonard T., George E., and Carroll C. Mr. Stouffer is an excellent farmer and hospitable gentleman. He is a member of the Methodist Church South, with membership at Smith’s Chapel. In the war times he took no part on either side, but stayed quietly at home. Since 1864 he has been a steward in the church. He owns 165 acres of good tillable land, all under fence, in grass and cultivation. Started in with nothing, but by energy and good management has steadily advanced in the world. Page 855

Major J. W. George, farmer, P. O., Napton. Was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, in 1805, and was raised there. At the age of twenty-six years he moved to Jefferson county, Kentucky, and there lived thirteen years, then sold out and returned to Shelby county. In 1856 he moved to Texas, and lived in that state until 1868, engaged in raising cotton. He then went back to Kentucky, and in 1869 moved to Kansas City, Missouri. In 1874 he moved to Saline county, in Salt Fork township, purchasing the Dr. Crawford Smith farm, one of the largest and finest farms in Saline county. Major George has always been a man of energetic business habits, and though now seventy-six years of age, still possesses much of his old time energy. In 1827 he was married to Miss Fannie Booker, of Kentucky. They have had twelve children, only four of whom are now living: Moses B., William, Edward and Benjamin, all of whom are on the farm with him. They are all men of energy and intelligence, and this year of 1881 have in 900 acres of wheat. Page 855

William Leaton, P. O., Marshall. Was born in Hanover, Germany, in the year 1828, and when ten years of age, came with his parents to the United States. They landed at Baltimore, and located at Wheeling, Virginia, where he lived sixteen years. He then moved to Ohio, and lived there two years; then to Adams county, Illinois; then to Missouri, where he has been living ten years, most of the time in Saline county. Two years ago he purchased the farm of 240 acres on which he now lives, and which is all under fence, and is either in plow-land or pasture. In the year 1856 he was married to Miss Lucinda Davis, daughter of Thomas Davis, of Adams county, Illinois. They have had eleven children, of whom nine are now living: Rose A., wife of Martin Pace, of this county; Hannah M., wife of Eugene Springer, of Pettis county, Missouri; Allie, wife of Levi Smith, of this county; Agnes, Adelaide, Fannie, Mary J., Aggie, William, and Josephine. They are all of the Methodist belief. Mr. Leaton served in the Fifty-sixth Illinois volunteers during the war, having been drafted. He began life with very little, and has now a handsome farm, well stocked. Page 856

Dr. Joel Richardson, P. O., Arrow Rock, Missouri. Dr. Richardson was born and raised on Mt. Deseret Island, in the rugged and far off state of Maine, in 1818. He studied medicine and graduated in the same, in Dartmouth College, and also studied in the most noted schools and hospitals in Western Europe. For about fourteen years he practiced his profession in Rockland, Maine, when, because of failure of health and fatigue, he retired, and has been quite a traveler since, visiting various portions of the United States and Europe. At the age of twenty-six he married Miss Isabel Heath, of Mt. Deseret, and has had one son and one daughter, the daughter dying at the age of thirteen years. His son, Louis R., is living at the home place, and is an artist and portrait painter, by profession, but for the present has given up the profession, and now takes part in the management of the farm. Will resume his profession soon, health permitting. Page 856

Charles L. Miner, P. O., Marshall. Was born in Herkimer county, New York, in 1844, and moved about with his father who was a preacher. At the age of fifteen he went to Monmouth, Illinois, where he lived about eight years, and then went to Texas. He remained there several years, and then came to Missouri with Gen. Shelby, and was captured at Marshall. In 1866 he married Miss Anna Wood, daughter of Milton Wood, of Saline county. Has three children: Woodie, Lottie, and Louise, living at home. He was educated at West Winfield, New York, and is the son of Erastus Miner, a Baptist minister of some note in New York. In 1861 Capt. Miner joined the Confederate army at Memphis, as a private, and was promoted to captain towards the close of the war. In 1862 he came west of the river and joined Gov. Jackson, and was on escort duty for a time. Was with Shelby on his raid in 1863, and was in the battles of Burrusville, Shiloh, Prairie Grove, etc. Was wounded and taken prisoner at Marshall, on Shelby’s raid. Taken to St. Louis, then to Camp Chase, and then to Fort Delaware, then to Morris’ Island, then to Ft. Pulaski, Georgia, and there with Cason, cut a hole in the side of the prison ship and tried to escape. Cason got away, but Miner was recaptured, put in port on starvation rations. At the close of the war was paroled at New York city, and came west. While in Marshall as a prisoner he met the lady who became his wife, and he came to Saline county. Before the war he had made two trips to Europe, one as a sailor before the mast, the other on business, and had considerable property, which was all lost in the war. Page 856-857

E. D. Shannon, P. O., Marshall. The subject of the following sketch was born in Henry county, Kentucky, in 1844, and moved with his father to this county in 1854, his father dying soon after he settled here, leaving three sons and two daughters. Mr. Shannon came to the place on which he now lives in 1867, and has lived there since, and is still a single man. In the war he joined the enrolled militia under compulsion, and afterwards joined the Confederate army in Capt. Diver’s company and Col. Woods regiment, was cut off near Marshfield, and surrendered. Was taken to St. Louis, where he took the oath and came home. Page 857

History of Saline County, Missouri 1881

Submitted by Vicki Piper