Maj. George H. Stover, retired, has been a resident of Morgan County, Mo., since 1866, having been born in Aaronsburg, Centre Co., Penn., on January 3, 1823. His parents, Jacob E. and Catherine (Hubler) Stover, were born in Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. George H. was reared on a farm, and in addition to learning the details of farm work, learned the currier and tanner's trade, which occupation his father followed. After attaining his majority he left home and worked at the miller's trade three years, then returned to his native town, and was occupied in building threshing machines a year and a half, then farming his father's farm several years. After that he bought a hotel in Bellefonte, the county seat of Centre County, and kept hotel three and a half years. Again going to his native town, he bought a half interest in a coach shop, and was in that business two years. He was then appointed, under the administration of James Pollock, Governor of Pennsylvania, as first assistant leather inspector at the port of Philadelphia, Penn., and held the position six months longer than the administration expiration. In 1861 he answered to the call of Gov. Curtin, of Pennsylvania, for 75,000 men to suppress the then rising rebellion by the Southern States. He then enlisted for three months, according to the call, and was mustered as orderly sergeant of Company F, Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was promoted after one month as second lieutenant of the same company, and after the expiration of his term of service he returned home, but soon responded again to the call of his country for more troops, for three years or during the war. He helped to enlist Company F of the Fifty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, by order of the governor, and was commissioned first lieutenant, serving as such till August, 1862, when on the march and line of extra duty he was stricken down by sunstroke. He, however, recovered some and stayed with his company and regiment, and took part in Gen. Pope's campaign from Cedar Mountain, via Gaines Hill and Bull Run, to Washington City. After his command left the entrenchments of Washington City to follow the enemy, he, being unable to raise his body or head from his blanket, was left, and was found the next day by an ambulance, and was taken to Washington City, and after strict examination by the doctor, he was sent home either to die or recover. The chances were only one out of ten for recovery, but, by good nursing, he recovered sufficiently after six months' sickness, so that with his brother, John H. Stover, by order of the War Department, he re-enlisted, and helped to enlist the 184th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was commissioned as quartermaster of said regiment (as he could not, on account of his disability, serve on hard duty), and served in this capacity until the close of the war. In 1866 he moved from his childhood home to Versailles, Morgan Co., Mo, where he was engaged in the dry goods business for about two and a half years, afterward embarking in the hardware business with his son-in-law, L. Walter, and after several years in this business he sold out his interest, and engaged in lead and coal mining very successfully, and helped to develop both the lead and coal of Morgan County. In 1881 he had to retire from active business on account of his health, and has not been able to do any business since. He is a Republican in politics, and served as county judge some two years, and various other positions of honor and trust. He is a stanch temperance man, and is a member of the A. F. & A. M. In 1847 he was married to Harriet M. Zellers, a native of Pennsylvania, and by her is the father of five children: Candace E. C., wife of George Decker, of Versailles; Mary A., wife of John D. Neilson, an attorney at law of Versailles; Annie M., wife of Lewis Walter, a tinner; Laura V., wife (deceased) of I. P. Adams; Edward C., who died at the age of five years. The children were all born in Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Stover were members of the Lutheran Church in the East, but having no Lutheran Church in Versailles, Mo., they joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. While a resident of his native State, and prior to the late war, he held various commissions, from second lieutenant to major of cavalry of the State Militia of Pennsylvania. He holds now nine commissions, expired, signed by the governors at the time he was elected to the various places of trust and honor. He has two brothers yet living, one in the East and one in Missouri, and three brothers and one sister dead. With all the ups and downs in life, he has had, with his family and all around a happy life, hoping sooner or later to inherit that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. So mote it be.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.