R. A. Sears, a native of the State of New York, born near Delhi, the county seat of Delaware County, is the son of Hiram Sears, and the grandson of Benjamin Sears, who, with one son, visited the State of Ohio (then the far West) about the year 1822, with the intention of settling there, but their hopes were blasted, for before reaching their home in Delaware County, they both were taken sick and died. Hiram Sears was but ten years of age when his father and brother died, and was the youngest of a family of eight children, seven boys and one girl. Four of the older brothers settled in the West -- one in western New York, one in Indiana, one in Ohio, and one in Iowa, all becoming quite wealthy, and raising respectful families. The other brother, after whom R. A. was named, was a graduate of an Eastern college, and studied for the ministry, but died soon after finishing his education. The sister, and only one living, has been a resident of New Haven, Conn., for many years. After reaching the age of manhood Hiram purchased the old homestead, and soon afterward married Miss Phidelia Tuttle, of Delaware County, but formerly of Connecticut. They became the parents of three children, R. A. being the second in order of birth. Mr. Sears afterward married Miss Elizabeth Frisbee, who bore him four children. R. A. Sears grew to manhood on his father's farm, and afterward purchased a farm in the neighborhood. He married Miss Agnes M. Thompson, of Merideth, and the daughter of J. D. Thompson, formerly of Scotland, who came here when he was but twenty-one years of age, and married Miss Eleanor Ormiston, of New York. Mr. Sears was married in February, lS6l, and, the war breaking out, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Forty-fourth New York Volunteer Infantry, and took part in the Peninsula Campaigns; also the bombardment of Charleston, S. C., and was located on Morris and Folly Islands. He was mustered out and discharged at Elmira, N. Y., in July, 1865. He then returned to his home, found his father dead and farm sold, and he not being satisfied to remain in Delaware County, he and his wife moved to California, Mo., and bought 300 acres south of High Point, paying $2,500 in cash and going in debt for the balance. He then worked for several years, but failed to pay the balance on it, and lost all. Not at all discouraged by this, Mr. Sears continued to live on the same place for five years, paying rent for it, after which he bought 224 acres near him in Morgan County, where, in the year 1878, he built him a nice house and barn, at the time going in debt for everything, even the land. Since that time he has added 113 acres more to his farm. He is an excellent farmer, and has the reputation of having the best farm in Morgan County, located, as it is, in the prairie bottom. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Sears is a Republican in politics, and was nominated in the First District for county judge, but, owing to the overwhelming Democratic majority, was defeated, but ran far ahead of the ticket. To he and wife have been born two children, a son and daughter. The latter, Eleanor Phidelia, is a teacher in the select school or academy located at Eldon, Mo., and is a graduate of Miller County Institute, located at Spring Garden. She expects to continue her education by taking a course in college, and will go East for that purpose this fall. Alonzo J., the son, is attending school at Eldon, and expects to take a college course after finishing.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.