Mrs. J. Porter, whose maiden name was Miss Jennie Johnson, is the daughter of William and Sarah (Hardesty) Johnson. The maternal grandfather, Col. John S. Hardesty, was famous in Revolutionary times. Miss Jennie Johnson came to Lebanon in 1857, as the wife of L. D. Shelledy, of Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind. From 1858 to 1861 they were engaged in keeping hotel in the city of Linn Creek, Camden Co., Mo. At the breaking out of the war they went to Newton County, where they remained until one year before the close of the war, and then returned to Lebanon. While in Newton County, Mr. Shelledy engaged in mercantile business at Newtonia, and while interested in this business Price made his raid through the State, passed by his store and sacked it, as Mr. Shelledy was looked upon as a black Republican. This was a severe blow to Mr. Shelledy, and they afterward, with what effects they had, left for Lebanon, where Mr. Shelledy was engaged in the quartermaster department of the Union army. After the war they bought 700 acres of land in Morgan County, 300 acres of which are now in tho possession of Mrs. Mayhall. The poor health of Mr. Shelledy caused them to remain on the farm, and there he died, January 11, 1886. No children were born to this union. During his life, from thirty years old, Mr. Shelledy was an elder in the Presbyterian Church, and was a very active member. He was instrumental in establishing a church called New Prospect, where he labored with the people until his death. Mrs. Shelledy was married to Mr. William Porter, at Aurora Springs, on the 3d of March, 1889.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.