George W. Petty, a prominent lumber merchant of Versailles, Mo., and a member of the firm of Durngold & Petty, established their business in 1884, on Newton Street, near the depot. He was born in Montcalm County, Mich., in 1838, and is a son of Jacob W. and Theodocia (Winters) Petty, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The father was a lumberman. George W.'s early days were spent on the farm and in lumbering, and at the age of twenty-one he left home and came to Morgan County, Mo., and was engaged in hauling goods from California to Versailles for three years, and at the end of that time enlisted in the Missouri State Guard under Capt. Butler, and during his service of one year took an active part in the battles of Carthage, Wilson's Creek and Lexington. He then returned to Versailles and worked at various occupations until 1884, when he went by wagon to Montana, and was successfully engaged in mining for two years, then returned to Morgan County and opened a grocery store, which he conducted until 1873, when he engaged in buying and shipping cattle and mules. In 1884 he gave up this work and established his present business, which he successfully conducts. He owns some land in the county and some valuable town property, and is in good circumstances financially. He has been a member of the school board for many years, and has held the office of alderman. In February, 1868, he was married to Miss Jennie Rankin, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of Daniel Rankin, and by her is the father of six children; Edward, a student in the Commercial College of Sedalia; William, Arthur, Charlie, Lulu and Beverly. Mrs. Petty is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.