J. M. Lumley, dealer in drugs, toilet goods, etc., and one of the thorough druggists of the city, established his present business September 15, 1887, on the west side of the square. He was born in Versailles, Morgan Co., Mo., in 1867, and is the son of James and Mary (Robinson) Lumley, the father a native of Louisville, Ky., and the mother of Howard County, Mo. James Lumley came to Morgan County, Mo., in 1854, establishing himself in the general merchandise business, where he continued for five years, after which he engaged in the grocery business for some time. Later he moved to the farm, three and a half miles northwest of Versailles, Mo., remained there until 1884, and then removed to the city, and is retired from active life. He was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion, and served three years under Gen. McCullough. His son, J. M. Lumley, was educated in the common schools, and commenced the study of pharmacy in 1885 under E. W. Dickey, of Kansas City, completing his profession at that place. He is a thorough student, is apt and ready in filling prescriptions, and is a live business man. He is a member of the Y. M. C. A. of Versailles, and takes an active interest in the work. He is the only one of eleven children born to his parents now living.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.