W. P. Hays, a native of Morgan County, Mo., was born in 1840. His father, Fountain Hays, came from near Louisville, Ky., in 1836, and settled in what is now Moniteau County, Mo., entering eighty acres of land. His mother was Miss Thixton, of Jefferson County, Ky. This young couple experienced all the hardships of pioneer life. Amid such surroundings W. P. was reared, living with his father until he was about twenty-seven years of age, when he married Miss Lizzie Mullins, daughter of Archie Mullins, who went to California in 1850, and there died. Mr. Hays, after marriage, settled on a place near his father's homestead, where he built a house, which he occupied seventeen years, and in 1888 he erected a fine residence on the same piece of land. He now owns eighty-five acres of farm land, and is engaged in raising horses, cattle and hogs. He is a Democrat in politics, and has been a member of the county central committee, also serving as a delegate to several county conventions. He has acted for a number of years as school director for his district. Mr. Hays is now steward and recording secretary of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The frames of the buildings on his place are all made of hewn timber, all of which were gotten out by himself. He and wife have five children: William P. (married Miss Rosa Wallace, of Moniteau County, and now resides in Vernon County), Eberhardt Monroe, Eliza, Cora and Rosa.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.