A. F. Davidson, a native of Macoupin County, Ill., received his early education in the schools of that State, and on the 21st of August, 1861, enlisted in Company A, Thirty-second Illinois Infantry, and was subsequently promoted to regimental quartermaster sergeant. He was in all the active engagements in which his regiment participated, receiving three severe gunshot wounds at the battle of Shiloh, and was mustered out of service with his regiment the 16th of September, 1865, at Springfield, Ill. In the latter part of that year he entered Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College at St. Louis, receiving a thorough business course, and in September, 1866, located at Farmer City, DeWitt Co., Ill., engaging in the drug business ten years, during which time he was burned out, suffering almost a total loss of stock. In the spring of 1876 he accepted the position of cashier of the First National Bank of that city, which position he resigned in April, 1879. Upon moving to Columbus, Kas., he engaged in the mercantile business, selling out in 1880, and going to Galena, same county, after which he accepted the position of secretary and superintendent of the Cornwall Mining and Smelting Company of that city. In the early part of 1887 Mr. Davidson, in connection with Mr. A. Arnold. established the successful Real Estate and Mining Exchange of this city. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a member of Webb City Lodge No. 512, A. F. & A. M.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.