The first school within the limits of what is now Nodaway Township, was taught in 1848, by James Scott, now (1882) a resident of the town of Oregon.

The building was a hewed log house. It stood on section 10, township 60, range 37, on a farm then owned by Jacob Kunkel, but now the property of John Honecker.

Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882"; Transcribed by Karyn, 2016