The first school house built within the limits of what is now Hickory Township was a rude frame building, erected in the year 1846. It stood on the southeast quarter of section 29, township 61, range 37, on a farm now owned by John G. Cowan.
The first who taught in this building was a man by the name of Elmer, a New Yorker by birth. This primitive temple of the muses has long been numbered with the things of the past, and its memory scarcely survives in the minds of the remaining few who had any personal knowledge of its existence.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882"; Transcribed by Karyn, 2016