The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1870. Among the original members were: Abel Doughty and wife, C. A. Doughty and wife, and E. McQuilen and wife. Its present (1882) membership is about forty. A Sunday School, with an average attendance of seventy five scholars, is superintended by C. A. Doughty.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in 1878, by Rev. Dr. Bain, with the following members: J. T. Sedwick and wife, William Price, S. Stanfield, and Charles David and wife.
The church is in a prosperous condition, with a good Sunday School superintended by William Boyer, Esq. By the combined efforts of both these organizations the present structure of the Methodist Church was erected in the year 1878, at a cost of $1,500. It is a neat gothic frame building, on Third Street.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882" transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016.