The Methodist Episcopal Church at Richville, was organized about the year 1840, shortly after the Baptists. The Templetons and Evanses were among the original organizers of this church. The building, a brick structure, 40x30 feet, was erected about 1855, some five years before the village of Richville, in which it now stands, was laid out. The first Methodist preacher to exercise his calling in this township, was Rev. James Baker.
About 1844, the Methodists held a camp meeting in section 27, township 60, range 27, on a farm at that time owned by David Templeton, one of the earliest settlers of the county, and the first county surveyor appointed.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882" transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016.