The only church building in Liberty Township stands on the farm of James R. Miller. On the southeast corner of the southwest quarter of section 3, township 62, range 39, is a lot including ten acres of ground, six of which are devoted to the purpose of a cemetery, and the other four, in the corner of this lot, is the church yard proper, in which stands the neat structure of the church, a frame building erected by the Missionary Baptists in 1876, at a cost of $2,100. The building is 40x60 feet in extent, and presents a plain, though neat appearance.
The congregation of this church was organized in New Liberty School House (District 57) in the neighborhood of the year 1872, by Rev. E. S. Egerly, of Oregon. Among the original members were J. J. Crews and wife, H. C. Offutt and wife, David Hanks and wife, and William Drury. The congregation continued to meet in this school house till the erection of the church edifice.
Through the liberality of the Baptists, other denominations are permitted to hold services in the building, a privilege of which several organizations in the county occasionally avail themselves.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882" transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016.