The third church organization instituted in the town (Oregon) was that of the Christians. They long shared the brick church erected by the Baptists. The terms on which this arrangement was effected were that the Christians should complete the internal finish of the church, provide seats, etc. This partnership arrangement continued till 1878, when, as a matter of safety, it became necessary to takedown the tottering building.
In 1877, the Christians erected a neat and substantial brick church on Washington Street, about one block south of the public square. It is a plain structure with a graceful spire. The early records of this church are lost, and the only means of acquiring information of its primitive days are derived from the imperfect memories of a few of the surviving pioneers who still reside in the county.
The first to preach to the members of this church was Elder Duke Young. This was probably as early as 1849 or l850 and perhaps earlier. The first meetings occurred at the residence of Israel Beeler, about one and a half miles north of the town of Oregon. Among the other ministers who had charge of the congregation were Elders Cox, Trapp, Tate, White, Hudgens, Hopkins and Barrow. Of the re-organized church the ministers in succession have been Elders W. A. Gardner, P. K. Dibble, Gardner again for two additional years, and in 1880 the present (1882) minister, W. T. Maupin. It was during the seven years of Elder Gardner's ministry that the present church edifice on Washington Street was erected. Its membership is very large and a prosperous Sunday School is taught in the building.
Source: "History of Holt and Atchison County, 1882" transcribed by Karyn Techau, 2016.