Henry E. Glazier, the subject of this sketch, was born in Orange, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, November 27, 1840. He attended the old log schoolhouse in which James A. Garfield received the rudiments of an education, and when six years old accompanied his parents to a small tract of land about four miles from Cleveland. At the age of eleven, in company with his father, he traveled overland to Van Buren County, Mich., then a dense wilderness, where they arrived about mid-winter. The father, Rody Glazier, had exchanged the property referred to for eighty acres of Michigan timber without having seen it, a transaction which disappointed him upon reaching his future home. Owing to the severe weather they retraced their steps to Paw Paw, the county seat of that county, where they were joined some six weeks later by the remainder of the family, consisting of the mother, two sisters and two brothers. Subsequently Henry obtained a situation in a store, but later assisted his father in the improvement of his farm, being deprived in the meantime of an education. His time was thus occupied until the age of twelve, when, the family having moved to Kalamazoo County, he attended the district school for three months, and afterward two terms at Schoolcraft. When eighteen years old he was placed in charge of a water-mill, which his father had purchased, conducting it for a year and a half, when, with his father's family he removed to Will County, Ill. In 1859 Henry embarked in the grocery business in Chicago, but in 1860, with his father, he started for California in search of gold. His experiences in that country are too numerous to mention in this connection, but in 1862 he returned to the States, going to Livingston County, Mo., where the family had moved during his absence. Early in 1863 he enlisted in "Merrill's Horse," Second Missouri Cavalry, and was soon promoted, and the following spring received a captain's commission in the One Hundred and Thirteenth United States Colored Infantry, in which capacity he served until mustered out in April, 1865. Returning home, Mr. Glazier entered the law office of McMillen & Norval, in Chillicothe, and in the winter of 1866 attended the law department of the university at Ann Arbor, Mich. In May, 1867, he was admitted to the bar, and in February, 1868, embarked upon the practice of his profession at Maysville, De Kalb Co., Mo., engaging also in a general real estate and loan business. In January, 1878, he purchased the Maysville Register and immediately improved and enlarged its publication, and thus started the first steam printing office in the third congressional district. In 1881 he built a fine opera hall, and in other ways has ever been first and foremost in the upbuilding of the county, and especially Maysville. It was largely through his efforts that the present courthouse and jail were erected. From 1883 until 1886, besides his other branches of business, he carried on general mercantile pursuits, and in 1882, in compliance with a request, and upon the solicitation of numerous friends, he was induced to become a candidate for Congress, a contest, however, in which Hon. A. M. Dockery was the successful one. In October, 1885, Mr. Glazier was appointed postmaster of Maysville. As a man he is fearless and progressive, untiring in his undertakings, and aggressive in warfare when favoring a proposition, men and measures, and he throws his whole heart into the cause. In 1869 he married Miss L. E. Holmes of Spencer, IIl., and they have had two children: Harry, a promising child aged five and a half, and A. Bertie, who is at present attending Christian College, Columbia, Mo.
Source: History of Andrew and DeKalb Counties, Missouri (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888), pp. 561-562.