John B. Harper, a prominent citizen of De Kalb County, was born in Ohio in 1841. He is the son of John and Elizabeth Harper, both natives of Pennsylvania. They removed to Missouri, where they lived at the time of their death. The mother was burned to death by the explosion of a coal oil lamp in 1885. Both parents were members of the Christian Church. John B. removed to Caldwell County, Mo., in 1866, and in 1879 came to De Kalb County, and located where he now resides. His farm contains 640 acres of good land. The farm is well improved, and upon it, in a desirable location, is a large residence. He pays considerable attention to raising and dealing in stock. In 1859 he was united in marriage with Sophia Clay. Seven children have been born to them, only one of whom is living, a daughter, named Nellie May. Mr. and Mrs. Harper are members of the Christian Church.
Source: History of Andrew and DeKalb Counties, Missouri (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888), pp. 563-564.