Col. O. G. MacDonald, a resident of Stewartsville, was born in Center County, Penn., in 1824. In 1841 he went to Ohio, taking all of his worldly effects under his arm. In 1847 he located in Plattsburg, Mo., where he engaged in the mercantile business, but in 1859 came to Stewartsville, bringing his stock of goods with him. He was the first public administrator appointed in Clinton County, and was postmaster in Plattsburg three years. He also served as deputy sheriff of Clinton County for several years. In 1862 he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia, and was twice commissioned captain, once major, and lastly lieutenant-colonel of the Eighty-seventh Enrolled Missouri Militia. He remained in the service until November, 1864. He was then appointed station agent at Stewartsville for the Hannibal & Joseph Railroad, afterward taking the local land agency for the same road, which position he holds at present. In connection with his other business he has been in the lumber business for twenty years. In 1872 he was elected to the State Legislature for one term. He has been mayor of Stewartsville for several years. On May 1, 1853, he was united in marriage with Miss Minerva J. Osburn, of Plattsburg. One child was born to this union, named Ella, now the wife of John A. Deppen, a merchant of this place. Mr. MacDonald's wife died on May 8, 1854. On June 25, 1857, he chose for his second wife Mary J. Holman of Plattsburg. They had one son, Archie C., who married Miss Cora Hutcheson, of Andrew County. The second wife died on January 24, 1861, and on March 25, 1862, he was united in marriage with Mary P. McGinnis, of Clinton County. They have had six children, three of whom are dead. Those living are Annie, Thomas C., and Nellie Grant. Mr. MacDonald and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R., and in politics is a Republican.
Source: History of Andrew and DeKalb Counties, Missouri (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888), pp. 571-572.