L. T. Moulton, principal of the public schools of Maysville, was born in Hillsdale County, Mich., on August 23, 1850. He is the eldest of six children born to W. A. and Margaret (Clark) Moulton. The father was born in Canada in 1816, and was the son of Proctor Moulton, a native of the United States. W. A. removed to Ohio in boyhood, and began farming. From Ohio he removed to Michigan, and thence to Iowa in 1853. In 1865 he removed to Missouri, and settled in Nodaway County, but went to Gentry County in 1868, and in 1869, to Caldwell County. While on a business trip through De Kalb County he became sick, and, after a few days died on February 7, 1879. The mother was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., on January 12, 1825. She is the daughter of Nelson Clark, a native of England, who immigrated to America, and was afterward a citizen of Michigan for a number of years. She is now a resident of Cameron, Mo. L. T. was reared on the farm, and began his education in the public schools. He began teaching school when twenty years of age, and later attended Thayer College (now Kidder Institute) at Kidder, Mo. He also attended Iowa College at Grinnell. After leaving college, he taught for four years, and then engaged in merchandising in Stewartsville, De Kalb Co., Mo., where he remained in business between two and three years. In 1885 he removed to Maysville, and took charge of the public schools, which position he holds at present. He was elected as a Republican to represent De Kalb County in the State Legislature, and re-elected in 1886. He is a member of Stewartsville Lodge, No. 182, F. & A. M., and of Russell Royal Arch Chapter, No. 77, and Kadorh Commandery, No. 21, of Cameron. On August 14, 1878, he was united in marriage with Mary Mitchell, of Kidder, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1856. She is the daughter of A. J. and Elizabeth Mitchell. They have two children. Both Mr. and Mrs. Moulton are members of the Congregational Church.
Source: History of Andrew and DeKalb Counties, Missouri (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888), p. 576.