Date of Death: 9/10 Oct 1917
Subject: Margaret (Trautman) Abplanalp 
Source: Holt County Sentinel, 12 Oct 1917, p. 1

It is with keen sorrow that we learn of the death of Mrs. J. C. Abplanalp, which occurred at her home in Fillmore, on Tuesday of this week, October 9, 1917, aged 66 years. Mrs. W. C. Opel, a sister, of this city, attended the funeral.  She is survived by her husband and several children.  Funeral arrangements had not been completed at the time of the closing of our forms.  We hope for an obituary for our next issue.

Source: Holt County Sentinel, 19 Oct 1917, p. 3

Margaret Troutmann [sic] was born in Decatur county, Indiana, November 5, 1850, and departed this life at her home in Fillmore, Missouri, October 10, 1917, at the age of 66 years, 11 months and 5 days.  On October 7, 1969, just 48 years ago last Sabbath, lacking only two years of their Golden Wedding anniversary, she and Mr. John C. Abplanalp were united in marriage and journey along life's pathway happily together, until she fell out by the way, and left her companion to finish the journey alone. Mr. and Mrs. Abplanalp were the parents of nine children, two of whom soon quit the struggle of life and their spirits returned to the God who gave them.  The husband and his seven children are left to grieve for the loss of a devoted wife and a loving mother.  The names of the surviving children are: Newton L., Wesley A., Mrs. Emma Hornecker, Charles S., Anna L., Coro [sic] O., and Lora D.; also seven grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Katherine Opel, of Oregon, Missouri, and Mrs. Sarah Baur of Tipton, Indiana, survive their sister and were both present at the obsequies.

The Abplanalp family have been well known in Eastern Holt and Western Andrew counties for many years, and are most highly respected for their real worth as good citizens, and Mrs. Abplanalp will be missed, not only by her immediate family, but also by a large circle of old and new acquaintances. While the deceased has not been in rugged health for some years, nevertheless her exodus was rather sudden, she having attended church Sabbath day and was taken alarmingly ill that night, and the death messenger called for her early Wednesday morning, leaving the family astonished at the suddenness of her leaving and sorrowful that they were powerless to do anything to prolong her stay with them. The deceased in early life was converted and united with the German M. E. church, and was faithful to her profession of faith in Christ Jesus and so the messenger of death had no terrors for her and life was a constant reminder to others of the rich promises God has in store for those who put their trust in Him.

On Friday afternoon, October 12th, friends of the family gathered at the home in Fillmore, and after brief services there, conducted by the Rev. A. H. McKullup [sic], of the M. E. church of Fillmore, the remains were taken to the M. E. church, where a large concourse of people, filling the church building to its utmost capacity, were assembled to pay their tribute of respect to the memory of the one who had endeared herself to them by her gentle christian [sic] character and to sympathize with the bereaved family.  Many beautiful floral designs were in evidence bearing their fragrant testimony to the esteem in which the donors held the subject of this sketch.  The funeral rites were conducted by the Revs. T. D. Roberts, of New Point; A. H. McKillup, of Fillmore, and W. L. Meyer, of Oregon.  A large choir, by their well chosen selections of music, did much to soften the asperities of such an occasion.  At the close of the services in the church, the earthly tabernacle, which she had put off two days before, was laid to rest in the beautiful city of the dead just south of Fillmore, there to await the trumpet call of her Lord when He shall descend from heaven to raise the dead in Him and change the living believers and take them unto Himself.